Language Immersion Theory

As I put myself up as a Total Immersion Theory subject, there are several factors which I have not highlighted in the study and severe cultural hindrances that may have been overlooked. The first factor would be the extremely low temperatures during winter which may not be conducive for 'immersion' in a regular day-to-day situation. With the help of amazing friends here, I have always been a part of the social-circle with ease. I find myself in the presence of young,educated Austrians in their mid-20s in the midst of spending a fantastic evening out in town. It came as a shock for me to find almost all businesses (except restaurants)cease operations after six and nothing is open during Sundays. Only one mall exists in the entire city :EUROPARK.
My first snow angel, in Salzburg

Having a touristy moment at St Gilgen, Salzburg

Amazing friends celebrating Silvester at the State Bridge, Salzburg

Cottage/cabin style houses at the mountain on the way to Gaisberg!

Sat at Europark,cradling a Reebok hand-grip exercise tool


 The second factor is the lack of proper planning (planning is not one of my favourite topics, I rather go along with the flow of the universe). However, several things were up to date, despite the lack of planning,I did somehow manage to strengthen my vocabulary base with the help of a certain language software. The third factor is the language shock. At first experience, the complete use of the German language in absolutely EVERYTHING: grocery item labels, money, buses, etc. Deriving from an Asiatic region, I find the complete use of the Germanic language a definitive foreign factor. If a more Latin, Persian or Arabic form of words are implemented in the culture, the difference of culture would not be utmost shock.For a Scandinavian or Dutch national, the complete use of the West Germanic language would not be stated as a factor at all. The fourth limitation that may occur in this case is the anxiety of impression. I arrived in the town of Salzburg in favour of a very close friend and we will meet his side of the world which includes his family, flatmates, childhood friends and classmates. So far, I have attended at least 5 or more large events involving his university and social circle. The constant awareness of first impression judgments may have had the impact of the cultural immersion.
Celebrating beautiful Tanja's birthday. L-R : Tanja,Dhipa and Marie

Celebrating Silvester (or New Year's Eve) at Jenna's

Posing infront of the State Bridge

Dressed to the nines with Hendrik at the University of Salzburg Grand Ball.  (Hendrik was munching a pretzel!)

The beautiful Alps from St Gilgen
 Here are the definite advantages of the Total Immersion theory: Media 1) The Salzburg daily is "Der Standard" which focuses on almost all aspects of the community issues. It has interesting pullouts with beautiful exquisiteness of all things Austrian. Perhaps it is my almost-absent European experience that compels me to respond in a constant state of awe but the Austrian regions are in the mountain-enclosed location which in a way helps 'store' the European flavour from usurping into more global influences. 2) The flat's favourite station on radio is FM4 (FM Vier) which we all listen to while in the kitchen or bathroom and I have it saved in my mobile for when I go for my walks in the evening. 3) Public television in Austria has at least 28 channels, all the foreign programs and movies are dubbed in German. I am quite intrigued with the game show varieties which are produced locally. The format is then sold to the worldwide media. Lots of creative geniuses in the German-speaking world :-) 4) Internet advertising and domains are automatically directed into the German language. My blog is now found on thedhipashow.blogspot.co.at, with 'at' being the domain for Austria. Job search websites (I have been actively searching for one here) are mostly in German. 5) Cinematic works are based in the German language here in Austria with all foreign blockbusters being released slightly later than other countries due to its necessity in dubbing all audio into German. You do occasionally have a chance to watch American movies in English or as they call it here (OV=Original voice) but the tickets are pricey, I paid mine at 10,20 at the Hauptbahnhoff Cinema. Social influence 1) My newly found friends are amazing, the younger generation in Austria are relaxed and tolerant towards foreigners. They all speak English at varying degrees. Unfortunately (or in my case, fortunately) the crowd turns Austrian again, and everyone speaks German after the spotlight on me is over. I then watch everyone's lips when they move in order for me to desperately grasp onto words that may provide meaning in my tiny German vocabulary and I formulate those words, hoping to construct a concrete understanding of what the conversation may be about. 2)Go to a restaurant, a park, a bakery or attempt getting on a bus, you have no choice but to speak German as almost nobody else would bother to speak anything else. I take this as a challenge and usually end up speaking in English anyways due to fear of making language mistakes. I did manage to engage in a conversation with the DHL man, clear enough to ensure the smooth transaction. 3)The neighbours are nice and warm people. In my residential areas, the demography is more family-oriented and there are many university students living here too. So, you manage to experience a mix of both and with local families, you may receive a shock response for appearing different. 4)My flatmates are in the most interesting circle of different nationalities speaking in German. The first, H, is German from Hamburg, and came to study Masters in Communication in Salzburg because of free education to all German nationals in Austria. The second,M, is Austrian and lives here to study in the same university. The third is J, who is half French from Strasbourg,France, which has more German speakers due to its close proximity to Germany. She speaks fluent German, French and Italian because she is a cocktail of those backgrounds. The last but not least,C, is Italian but he hails from South Tyrol in which the majority of the population is of Austro-Bavarian heritage and they speak German. All in all, these situations have provided me all the more reasons to conquer the language.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bustling in Bangkok

Next Stop : Nürnberg!