Munich : Day Eins and Zwei

on the bridge overlooking the BMW Tower
St Mary Our Lady's Square at Marienplatz
Eating a pretzel on the train. 

At the train station. Rocking the smirf beanie

May the best village wins!




With the beautiful Annika at Marienplatz
Decor at Taj Mahal Indianisches Restaurant, Munich
Typical Bavarian Marketplace
Surfing enthusiasts will not give up just because it's under zero degrees! *in the middleof Munich!
My my, it has been one of the most exhausting fortnights of my life! With our bags tightly packed,zipped and fitted unto the back of my travel companion's Mini Cooper, we jetted off to our first stop ---München otherwise known as Munich. Yes, this is where the famous Bavarian capital is located, but as international as it is, it is not the capital of Germany. It is a good hour and a half away from Salzburg.

We manage to arrange a ride share with Paola, a Spaniard living in Salzburg after completing her Erasmus Mundus program in Hamburg. Reaching Munich after some traffic congestion due to ski-holidayers returning to their homelands from Austria, we made it to the center. People were out and having a good time, eating out and living more precariously ...You got to understand that the last place I have been hanging out in was Salzburg, Austria.

However, it is still winter and we decided to go for a walk. Now why on earth would a girl who has now began to first see the signs of snow in her 26 years of life, take a walk in below zero degrees? Well, our hosts were amazing and completely hospitable but one of them had to study the whole day.

And as gracious guests we were, my companion and I decided that we would vacate the flat during the day to make way for silence in the house.

Our first location was the square at Marienplatz with the beautiful rotating clock tower, in the midst of it all, we saw an ongoing protest at the square. According to our host who were also our dear friend, there are active protests every weekend at the main square and this week it was about racism in Europe. I was acting as the typical tourist and we inquired whether we could take pictures with the police guarding the protest.

However, as my friends interpreted my request to the officers, we were told that they are not allowed to snap photographs with civilians as the images might be used inappropriately such as in social media gags.(derp) On the way back we visited the various authentic Bavarian style markets in the middle of the city before meeting up my companion's brother who studies in Munich.

We met up in the Hofbräuhaus, a famous Bavarian bierhaus, where I can directly indulge in a Bavarian atmosphere. Oh yeah, a little tinge of Oktoberfest hits me as I glance at the menu whereby beer only comes in 1 liter or nothing. Well, weisbeer (white beer) is served on a smaller dosage but I guess my friends decided to go on with a liter.

 I, on the other hand, had to order Kamillentee (Chamomile Tea) because I was taking it easy on my poor stomach which had to endure the aftermath of Valentine's day happy juice.

The waiter had the strangest look on his face as he jotted down my order. He said 'That would do your body more harm!' Hahahaha. And as everyone else's orders came before mine, we joked about how the bartender had to dash out to the corner store to purchase a sachet of tea while yelling out 'who the hell put tea on the menu!'

Bidding farewell to this popular watering hole, we decided to make our way to Olympia Park in the edge of the city. Our hostess/guide shows us the mini ski practice area as we hiked up the hill. At this point, my knee lets out a deep numbing sensation and I ignored this condition as I did not want to be a nuisance to the rest of the crowd.

 As we hiked up and down into the mountainous terrain, our beautiful hostess shares with us her story of how she broke her whole arm on a vertical line several years ago in a freak cable car accident. She now trains at this park to expel ill feelings on the skiing sport. We made our journey back to our hosts' home and we headed to the street for Indian food.

Now, maybe you might have guessed it from my name, I have Indian roots and my family practices the Indian way of life at our household. I may be much more liberal minded than the average Malaysian Indian, however when it comes to Indian cuisines, I must say I have a stubborn tongue when it comes to authentic Indian dishes.

And from a cheesy named- restaurant named, I did not have high expectations for the Taj Mahal Indisches Restaurant.  My hosts were aware of this and they were quite afraid that I might not enjoy eating Indian in Europe.

Much to my surprise, the Mutton Briyani I tasted felt like a little taste of heaven! Taj Mahal Restaurant proves to be what our money is worth. I had a take-away as I refuse to waste food after being unable to finish it.

As we got back to 'the house that is not our home' lol, I discovered that my knee condition was more severe that I had first thought. I can't bend, stand or walk. I felt like I needed to lie down all the time. And mind you, this is DAY ONE of our 14 day road trip.

On our second day, we had breakfast with our lovely host and ate Krapfen or sometimes known as a Berliner. This amazing doughnut without-the-hole had me drooling for more local pastries. We started our day with the crazy but true urban river surfers in the middle of Munich.

Although temperature were around zero and drops to minus three in daytime, (not to mention how cold the water must have been) this factor is not enough to discourage the hardcore surfers to discontinue with their intent. We watched the determined surfers in sweatsuits from the bridge above for quite a long time.

We then made our way to the Italian restaurant, Vapiano for coffee, cake and chilling out at the sofa because my f**ked up knee was killing me. We then made our way to another Italian bakery restaurant and to our delight, this tiny cottage-feel restaurant served the most AMAZING risotto.

Cotidiano, perched in front of Gärtnerplatz roundabout, is one restaurant I highly recommend! The most amazing service+heavenly food=satisfaction!We wrapped up our Munich tour with me lying on the inflatable mattress.

 
Cotidiano, Munich. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bustling in Bangkok

Next Stop : Nürnberg!